Sunday, November 23, 2008

Just Another Social Commentary

Man, I've been saving this one for too long... Many of the video links on this site don't work any more because it's from 2006. It's basically a commentary on marketing, my arch nemesis.

http://www.slate.com/id/2156187/?GT1=8900#

Maybe you remember the Visa ads when everyone is in sync, smiling, there's music playing, everything is clean, everyone's brain is completely sterilized, credit cards are being charged in time with the music in this completely materialistic and unrealistic world, and then someone attempts to use backed currency, er, I mean cash to buy their product and the whole thing turns to shit? Yes, those ads! In fact, in 2006, when I had the idea to write about this when it was new, I had no idea that those ads would still be viable and used today! This was a stupid commercial back then and it is now. However, it was a window into today's economy. Although the bulk of it comes from sour mortgages, the culture at the time (and probably still today) is that we are living outside our means. Credit makes things slightly faster and easier, but not for the ramifications. This has got to be one of the most infuriating commercials I've ever seen. It's getting me all riled up just thinking about it.

I'm gonna go get some coffee, but coffee I own, not at a Starbucks or Caribou, where I'm likely to use my credit card otherwise fear that the God damned roof will come falling down.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home