Thursday, October 04, 2007

Taking People's Word

Many people (I hope, or rather, assume) research their purchases. Personally, this usually involves looking up opinions of products from critics of major website and fellow consumers; perhaps even browsing consumer reports. However, I wonder how many people actually take the common man's words with a grain of salt? For example, this following snippet is a comment concerning an interview of Jack Tretton, the VP of SCEA (Sony) about the PS3. Go here to read the interview http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/scea_vp_on_back.html. The comment below is about PS2 problems.

“Friday, 17 November 2006 - 2:19 AM

Okay... I'm sitting in my apartment right now. The one I share with two other guys. I bought a PS2, but the disc tray broke a year into it and I bought a new one. The same thing happened to my friend. My other roommate (I don't consider him my friend, I guess) is on his third PS2, due to breakage.

So that's 7 PS2s for three people. Of the "150,000,000 PS2 owners" in the world today, how many have the same fingerprints?”

Should you take into account the fact that you don't know what these knuckleheads put their PS2s through? This guy is more than likely a college student, and the common gaming college student, from my experience does some pretty stupid crap. Now, the slot loading PS2 (which is the older one) has understandable breakage issues. If you put the disc in incorrectly, press the eject/insert button, the disc jams up the slot. You'd think he might be more careful with his next machine if that was his problem. Whether or not he was delicate with it, we truly do not know. What transpired between these people that could have caused such malfunctions is a mystery. Perhaps their drunken friend continued to insert a disc when it wasn't properly in the tray, who knows? I've seen some stupid things in my day, and I'm sure of the billions of people on the planet (150 million of which [roughly]) have probably witnessed some asinine things their fellow man has attempted.

I make a point to reconsider the tactless comments of the angry consumer. Not just the usual, “This thing suckzorz!!!!” but actual, cleverly guised, vengeful comments that, at least at face value, could contribute to the ruin of an otherwise good product.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home