Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Odds n' Ends

Here are some things that have needed dealing with/posting for quite some time. Here they come and they are so mished mashed it will drive you into utter madness upon completion of reading them. First and most important, I am Blue Pumpkin's best man! I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

I will be posting one more paper from the writing class from last semester so keep your eyes peeled!

The end of last semester. Where to begin, where to begin? I don't know if I mentioned this, but in my world music class, we had to do a final ethnography project. This project consists of going out and researching music in culture on where ever your interests lie. I ended up choosing to do my project on the community focused African dance class. I focused primarily on the symbolism of the drum and even participated in some of the class dances for some hands on stuff! You would be amazed what a drum represents in some African cultures. I interviewed the drummers (there are actual live drummers just for the class) and learned much from that! At the end of the semester, I attended the final performance and had a blast! I will also be taking the class this coming fall! Me...in dance!! Gwaa ha ha, prepare to be stunned. If any of you remember the way I used to dance in high school, you know the world's in trouble!

My finals overall went well; I know this because I did pass all of my classes. My expository class was very barely, my most favorite class. I say that because I had world music, guitar II, and microbio last semester all together, and they were all most enjoyable. I believe I already posted my final paper for that class a while ago. Wait...nope, just checked, I haven't. Well anyway, once you read it (and I post it), this might make more sense. We had to write a non narrative essay on any topic and it had to have a specific style. The style could be any one you chose. I chose a Credo, which is writing about one's beliefs, and possibly one of the harder styles to write a non narrative essay on. After I finished writing it, I figured it was a narrative, but I was told by my prof. that the first part was non narrative and the second part went into a ranting that turned into a narrative. I also didn't truly stick to my guns and the paper ended up shifting, I guess is the best word to use. My biggest problem came when I submitted the final draft and I was told I had to come in and explain how my paper wasn't a narrative. this means you had better be prepared for a good argument, because if you fail the argument, you fail the final paper! I thought I was screwed. I put together my best argument, and when I went and gave it my all; I lost. My own prof. saved my ass from himself and told me that I pretty much walked the borderline on narrative/non narrative, I just didn't argue it that well. He was generous enough to not fail me on the paper, although I was sure he was going to, and I became even more of a fan of his. I also learned that my roommate was in the freshman version of my class that day, which was pretty cool. Also, I learned that my prof. collects papers from students not only to use as a teaching aid, but as an assemblage of good works for submission for publication. He wants to use college level writing for a book to help teach a college class in writing! I feel honored!

For Father's day, I took my Godfather and my father out for golfing down the street from my parents. That was quite fun. I lost miserably, but claimed to have ousted them both. Following that, my rents and I attended a grad. party for my cousin. Whoa, that was weird. My aunt remarried a few years ago to my now uncle who has two girls. I haven't gotten used to the fact that they are indeed now my cousins. The party was very nice. She's attending Kansas state, but doesn't know where her concentration will lie.

More recently, I attended another of my cousin's grad. party. I don't think he's going to college, but I'm unsure.

There was another squirrel story that I wanted to tell. Back in the days when the squirrels broke into my apartment, there existed a day where a squirrel attacked some innocents. I came home to find my lithops (living stones) all ripped from their pots and scattered near the window sill one day. There was a lone one laying in the middle of my roommate's futon with it's soil and pot scattered on the floor. I was totally confused at first - was this some kind of joke my roommates were playing on me? I investigated further and found that a squirrel had chewed through the screen on the windows, violated my poor lithops, grabbed one, carried it across my other roommate's keyboard, and manhandled it on the futon. Surprisingly, the lithops sustained close to no damage and I repotted them all. My roommates and I took pictures of the "evidence" left by the squirrel, mostly, foot prints on the light dust of the keyboard.

I have a mac, as you long-time readers know, and I have a little piece of software called GarageBand. It acts as like a little studio for the user. It has functions I can't even begin to describe. It even adds effects to my guitar for pedals I don't even own! It's a poor college student's wet dream...er...yeah..... I started recording some music with it, and if I find the time, I'll post some samples of it; I guess the service would have to be free as well. One step closer to the dream!

I have a correction to make about meeting my fav. bands. I've meet three of them. I also met the Smashing Pumpkins. It was back in 2000 with their release of Machina: The Machines of God. Everyone was there except James Iha, who was sick or something, so his brother was in for him. I assume this had something to do with the bands original break-up which was blamed on Iha by frontman, William Corgan.

Another correction. Nathan, from the band Papa Roach, is actually named David.

I read my whole blog the other day... Wow. It actually isn't that bad, with the exception that the last few posts have been a little long and dry. I noticed many errors and have corrected them, so if you ever read them (I can only hope) again, you are in for a surprise! I have to say that this thing should be taken in doses. It's sort of like the warnings they put on medication, read no more than a forth of a post in any given 24 hour period. In case of accidental overdose, water down with some good reading.

Did I mention that I have been working four separate jobs at the library this summer - just for full time! No overtime! During one of my shifts, a girl from my first year Chinese class entered and talked to me for about a half an hour. It was good to hear from her again and see that she was doing fine.

Alright, everyone breath!

P-Wagz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home