Sunday, April 23, 2006

Chinglish Translation

For those of you who speak another language beyond your first learned language: Do you translate a second language into your first language as you speak it in order to understand it?

When I speak Chinese, I translate it in my head. It makes it very difficult to speak fluently, and because I've never been fluent in a language other than English, I don't know if one looses this habit once one is fluent. I guess there are a few sentences that I just understand because I've used them often enough, so maybe it just happens when you are fluent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. I think about this too. When I was growing up I learned laotion and english at the same time. When I was 11 I started learning french. When I speak laotion or english I don't really translate in my head, but I think because it was learned at the same time it's very much interchangeable for me. When I speak french, I translate in my head, also proving to hinder fluency. I used to think that losing the translation part was the ultimate sign of fluency, but I am not sure. I think an awesome sign of fluency though is when you dream in that other language and understand what's going down. geez. I rambled again.

~V

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. It all just comes out in Chinese. There are times when you use Chinese connecting words and English nouns, but it's all thought out in Chinese. Sometimes you skip a language (English to Chinese when translating English to Spanish).

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home