Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Experience

Are you ready for THE experience. Nah, I'm just kidding. But I do have an experience to share. This happened one week ago today.

I work at a copy center at the Bio-Med Library. I get all sorts around here, nice people, jackasses, pompous doctors. In fact I get more surly people than I do nice. I have to say that student workers that work at service jobs really get the sh*t end of the stick.
Anywho, I'm working in my ordinary fashion, when a 70 something man comes in to make copies. He goes to a machine, starts to copy. After a while, he hits a button that fills the screen with some options and prevents him from copying. He asks for help in a deep aged voice. I go over and show him how to leave the screen he's at and continue copying. I sit back down to my computer, and continue on with my thing. Later on, I hear the machine start whirring, denoting multiple copies at once (I know these things because I've worked here way too long). From the "gentleman's" direction, I hear, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS FUCKING THING! STOP IT, STOP IT!" as he strikes the copier many times. I run over and hit the stop button for him. He retains his composier, and explains what happened stating that he didn't want all of the copies and that he would bring them up to me later. I acknowledged him and went back to the desk. I thought, this is gonna be one of those people. How right I was! He comes up to pay, "How much was that?"
"$1.28," I reply.
"That's impossible, that's ubsurd! I won't pay it!
"Well, sir, our policy doesn't cover user error."
"That's ridiculous! If I went to Kinko's™, they would refund me for any mistakes I made!"
"I'm sorry, sir, but we aren't Kinko's™, and this is our policy."
"No! I won't do it, here's a quarter, that's 10 cents a copy plus tax! Good day, sir!" And he strides off towards our locked 3rd floor doors.
"Um, excuse me sir, you can't exit those doors after five, and if you leave without paying, you are stealing." At this point, he gives me a look like I've just crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed. His eyes bug out slightly, and he turns red, and storms back over to me. "Fucking son of a bitch!" and he slaps $2 on the desk.
"EXCUSE ME?! WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME??"
"YOU HEARD ME, 'FUCKING SON OF A BITCH'!"
"You have no right talking to me that way, that it unexcusable!" Now a buddy of mine who's working as a page comes over.
"What seems to be the problem, sir?"
"This gentleman here, says that I have to pay for copies that I don't want, when I can go to Kinko's™ where they'll refund me for any mistakes," replies the old man.
"Well, that doesn't mean you have to act like an immature child and cuss him out," says my friend.
"Ire. It's ire," interjects the old one. (For those of you who don't know [I didn't], ire means to openly display one's anger)
I give him his change and tell him that he can contact my supervisor if he wants about the issue. He agrees to take the number, so I write it out for him, give it to him and he leaves. I was about to throttle that fucker! I'll tell you though, it really made my day better, because I was having a weird one, and it felt good to stick it to someone who deserved it. The crappiest part is that people get upset, although not to this extent, about measley sums of money like this all of the time. I can't believe the headache over $1.28! Just imagine if it were $10 or more, the guy wouldn't killed over right in front of me. Another good thing happened afterward, I won a free coke off of a bottle left there by someone.

Anyway, I hope you all are well. 'Til next week!

P-Wagz

I'm listening to Blink-182 - TOYPAJ, The Beatles - 1, The Offspring - Conspiracy of One, The Prodigy - Fat of the Land, Green Day - American Idiot.

P.S. Please share with me your stories of crappy people. If it's one thing people like to discuss, it's their work-related incidents!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home