Saturday, March 12, 2005

Replication Technique for Deciding One's Major

From a seemingly depressing year, to what is becoming a better and better ending to my college career, I think I have finalized the switching of my major, in my head anyways. With all things considered, it doesn't matter what major I choose. The work force looks that I have a degree. If, for example, they are looking for a B.S. in Microbiology, they will state this, but also they will tag on "or in a degree in the associated biological sciences". Now, I've decided to go with a B.S. in Biology. My remaining coursework, which will be 3 classes, will satisfy the major requirements, which will result in my degree. However, since it will still take me a year to finish, I'm going to take additional classes to emphasize in either microbiology, or plant biology. This will make me a likely candidate for the "or in a degree in the associated biological sciences". Basically, having a degree in biology, I can probably get in anywhere I want. My academic advisor told me that I've done more directed research than most students, and I have skills in biochemistry because of that research (well, it's more like genetics). I've been told employers like the fact that students have lab techniques outside of the classroom. I didn't even think about the fact that I've been setting myself up quite well for the workforce in terms of things besides my major that the industry looks for, i.e. study in another language, directed research, leadership from BCQ. A huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm ready for life to begin!

I guess the only wrench in my spokes is if I decide to go to pharmacy school. Then I will have to take more classes the satisfy the prerequisites. Then I'll probably have an extra semester. Well, if I decided to go travel abroad for a semester, that may be another wrench, or if I do an internship in biology to the rain forest. I've got a little time to think about that stuff though.

Anyway, happy break for those of you who have spring break right now!

P-Wagz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home