Friday, January 13, 2006

Spacial Void

This is a conglomeration of thoughts built up over several months.

I learned that there is a very high incidence of a meteor hitting the earth, which made me think about what it would be like if we had to live in space and leave earth. This is also from when my brothers and I were talking about this a while back on one of our twilight treks through suburbia. Personally, I think space is facinating. It would be so awesome to view the planets, and if I lived long enough, other galaxies. I can handle being alone for very long periods, however, I think that void of space would ultimately destoy any thin web of sanity, no matter how resilient the entity, myself included. Then I really started thinking about it and I pondered the basis of our interactions and why people are considered "interesting" in the first place. We find people interesting because they are different than we are. It may be their carefree way of life, their strange-angled way of thinking, or their inability to amount to anything (as in my case). Now, I'm sure you all have realized this without me saying it, but it's almost like I'm creating my own board game, so bear with my childish nature. For people to become interesting, they must be different, at least in some aspects, from the self. This is accomplished through different environmental stimuli and interactions with other people/things. Now that I sound like a psychology textbook, I'll shift to my point. The reason that space would drive any one person to madness is that, unless we build a ship that is vast, has many different environmental stimuli, and has enough people, there wouldn't be enough change or difference in the small livable environment to produce enough interest to keep the mind satisfied. The result...Star Trek! At least Gene Roddenberry had the right idea.

I think I'll do away with the closing line for now, as you know it's me typing. I find it harder to come up with nifty sayings at the end of my posts versus crazy arsed titles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home