Sunday, July 23, 2006

Further Into the Great Beyond

I think I may of made a mistake. On a meticulous organization rampage today, I was perusing some old graded works of mine from college. Gazing down on less than admirable grades, I don't think I should have gone into the sciences in college. My acceptable GPA all come from non-science classes. Yes, I could have gotten better grades in science if I tried harder, but to put that much time into my work would've killed me. At times I have wondered if I put enough work into my field of study. I actually asked myself this after failing a couple of tests while in college. To offset this diminishing GPA, I decided to study more in a particular subject that I wasn't doing too well in. The result? I did worse on other tests in other classes and didn't bring my grade up in the class I was focusing on. I think I have a better grasp on the humanities.

Considering the types of jobs I've had, and the courses I've taken, I think I would've been better off in a different area. I've been thinking more and more about writing. Obviously, music is the top area I'm shooting for, but I tried to apply for jobs with technical writing. I think I have a need for it. When I was deciding a major, I made my decision based on a way of thinking that I later would have yelled at myself for following. I hate that now that I'm done with college I have a better idea of what I want to do. Basically, I went into science with the pretension that I could get job doing what I like and make a decent amount doing it. This notion that focuses somewhat on money is why I ended up not going into pharmacy, and why I probably won't be going to grad school (for science, anyway). I do love science, but I'm not good at it. I've always tried to follow the, "do what you love" theme in life. Now, along with that, I'm thinking I need to tag on the "do what you're good at" theme. Well, I think I'm a good writer and a good musician. I would say I could get a job writing for a paper or something, but I don't want to be a journalist. I also don't want to go back to college for journalism degree. That would leave me with books or magazines. I don't know how I feel about being a novel writer. I know I would enjoy it, but could I work with a deadline over my head? I don't know as, most of this writing comes out when an idea pops in my head. I've never just sit and think, "What should I write about in this post?" I guess I don't know if novel writers are given deadlines.

I bet you may be asking what I would go to graduate school for (you were secretly thinking you caught me in a regret, like "if I could go back and do it again, what would I do?" Ha! Never!)? I would have to say writing, music, language studies, maybe even psychology.

Maybe I should just open my own restaurant. I'd deal with everything but cooking. Besides, I know some people that can/would do that for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rather wish I'd taken the time to sit down and chat with you longer while I was around. Your depth of thought is absolutely stunning.
When I escape from Bragg this christmas, I'm going to have to link up with ye again.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home